I haven’t done one of these properly in a while. Since the big move, a lot more has changed then just my geographic location. I thought it was a good opportunity to update you on what is happening in the world of Sydney Aaliyah Michelle, the person, the writer and the blog. Thanks so much to Fel Scotzig at The Peasant Revolt for the opportunity.
- Display the award logo on your blog.
- Link back to the person who nominated you.
- State 7 things about yourself.
- Nominate 15 bloggers for this award and link to them.
- Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements.
7 Thing About Me:
- I have discovered a love for reading science fiction. I love the movies, but never really gave it a chance as reading material. When it comes to world building/scene setting, you can’t beat a good sci fi novel. – Thanks Steve Umstead and his Gabriel series for showing me the way.
- I am a huge football fan and didn’t realize how much I missed the drama of it while living overseas. Just catching the playoffs of the 2012 – 2013 season showed me so many highs and lows, fights and injuries, band substance accusations, fake girlfriends and bizarre love triangles. And you thought it all happened on the field. SMH
- Unemployment doesn’t quite suit me. I figured I would use all this free time to get my blog in order and editing done on WIP #1. But, it’s back firing on me. I am much more productive with a lot less free hours in the day. I’ll use the rest of this free time to examine why this is.
- Even though I am unemployed, I still spend a good part of the day planning what I am going to buy once I am employed. And, moving home from China, I basically get to start all over. That means buying a car, getting an apartment, finding a church, and a gym. I get to develop a whole new routine. That includes my annual vacation this year and next year. So far, I’ve planned a trip to London (I miss my favorite city), Hawaii (Mark Koopman’s writing retreat) and DC (Beyonce Concert).
- Sydney Aaliyah is a pen name. It has parts of my real name and I have started to add more of my real name, Michelle, which creates a new pen name. So, if you start seeing Sydney Aaliyah Michelle around the blogosphere, that’s me, too. But, please feel free to still call my Sydney, Syd or Sam (that’s what my parents call me).
- I did find my writing spot. It was a recommendation from Kate O Lynch. The Coffee House Cafe. The food is so good. They have a cool patio with a fire place that is nice for reading. Most important, it is quiet from 2-5. Perfect writing time while I am still unemployed.
- In case you didn’t get it, I’m looking for a job. If you or someone you know is looking for a writer, event director, project manager, editor, proofreader, golf club consultant, book recommender, and/or hand holder while you get your first or fifteenth tattoo, I’m your girl. That last one, I would actually do for free. 😉
- Donya Lynne
- Ellie Garratt
- Mark Koopmans
- Ali Cross
- Shannon A Thompson
- Spearman 101
- Gus Sanchez
- Misha Gericke
- Marcy Kennedy
- Raewyn Hewitt
- Annalisa Crawford
- Kyra Lennon
- Elise Fallson
- Tasha Seegmiller
- M.L. Swift
Congrats to the winners and check out their blogs.
Who inspires you?
Twenty Seven days into 2013 and I now I am starting to understand. Well, Better Late Than Never, right?
- I understand that my lackadaisical, laid back, ‘oh, I’ll get to it’ attitude about blogging is not for me. I need a schedule. I am going back to announcing my schedule for the week – better late than never, right?
- I understand that while I can’t spend all my time on social media and be a productive writer, I can’t ignore days of social media and expect to be on top of things. Playing catch up all the time doesn’t work for me – better late than never, right?
- I understood that I needed some time after my last job to relax and recharge. But, 6 weeks out of work and I am bored and unproductive in every part of my life. Far be it from me (What a great saying, I feel like my grandma) to use all this extra time to practice writing habitually, reading cognitively and editing effectively. But, I am starting now – better late than never, right?
- I am realizing that with so many opportunities out there for pitching/querying/submitting to agents/publishers on blogs/twitter/facebook/writer’s conferences. My three first drafts aren’t ever going to be ready, sitting on my desk unedited – better late than never, right?
Have you had any Better Late Than Never lessons learned this year?
Thanks so much to EM Castellan for the The Lovely Blog Award.
Also, a quick thanks and shot out to Karens Different Corners for awarding me the Liebster Award, although I am not sure I should except because I have more then 200 followers, I appreciate the recognition regardless. And, she is close to 200 herself, so follow her and prepare to gain knowledge and be entertained.
Post to Report On
Hey, Y’all: Dialect and Slang From the Write Angle – As someone from Texas, I have to practice not making all my characters sound like Texans. What do y’all think about dialects and slang?
Character Study by Left and Write – How much character development do you do before and during writing and editing?
Editing is Writing Too by Raewynn Hewitt – The push I needed to get off my butt and put my butt in the chair and edit.
Tim The Film Guy
Special thanks to my email followers as well.
Next Week’s Schedule
Monday – Re-Introduce Myself Blog Hop
Wednesday – The Word Master Challenge
Friday – Imaginary Friend Blog Hop
Sunday – My Weekly Update
And, don’t forget to sign up for Blogging from A to Z Challenge on Wednesday, January 30, 2012. Click the badge below for rules and Tips on Blogging from A to Z.
And, congratulation to Aldrea Alien for knowing her Bilbo/Gollum Riddles. Here are the answers:
4. Sun in the sky shining upon daises on a hill.
7. A Fish.
8. A fish lay on a table. A man sat on a stool. And the cat got the bones.
This award is oh so Inspiring. Thank you, Vikki at The View Outside.
This award is oh so Lovely. Thank you, Kitt at The InnerWildKat.
Food & Sex
Writing about food and sex are so much fun. Her are some great post on doing both well. Writing about them, I mean. Get your mind out of the gutter.
You Are What You Write had a great post about The Importance of Food.
Angelica Dawson wrote a great guest post on Sex in Fiction. She taught me how to reel in my sex scene a little. I can get carried away sometimes. Again, with writing them. 😉
Chris Stocking wrote an interesting post called Let’s Get Vulgar, Shall we? It is always important to have some limits, right? Remember who your audience is.
New Follower who I am also nominating for these Inspiring and Lovely Awards.
Brian B. King – talented writer
Jamie E. Rowett – great Bourne Legacy review
nyparrot – she loves to shop
Next Weeks Schedule
Monday – check to the left – Genre Favorites Blogfest by the mind of one of my favorites – Ninja Captain Alex
Tuesday – Tattoo Tuesday
Friday – Blog Post
Sunday – My Weekly Update
Do you enjoy writing about food and sex? What about food with sex?