Twenty Seven days into 2013 and I now I am starting to understand. Well, Better Late Than Never, right?
- I understand that my lackadaisical, laid back, ‘oh, I’ll get to it’ attitude about blogging is not for me. I need a schedule. I am going back to announcing my schedule for the week – better late than never, right?
- I understand that while I can’t spend all my time on social media and be a productive writer, I can’t ignore days of social media and expect to be on top of things. Playing catch up all the time doesn’t work for me – better late than never, right?
- I understood that I needed some time after my last job to relax and recharge. But, 6 weeks out of work and I am bored and unproductive in every part of my life. Far be it from me (What a great saying, I feel like my grandma) to use all this extra time to practice writing habitually, reading cognitively and editing effectively. But, I am starting now – better late than never, right?
- I am realizing that with so many opportunities out there for pitching/querying/submitting to agents/publishers on blogs/twitter/facebook/writer’s conferences. My three first drafts aren’t ever going to be ready, sitting on my desk unedited – better late than never, right?
Have you had any Better Late Than Never lessons learned this year?
Thanks so much to EM Castellan for the The Lovely Blog Award.
Also, a quick thanks and shot out to Karens Different Corners for awarding me the Liebster Award, although I am not sure I should except because I have more then 200 followers, I appreciate the recognition regardless. And, she is close to 200 herself, so follow her and prepare to gain knowledge and be entertained.
Post to Report On
Hey, Y’all: Dialect and Slang From the Write Angle – As someone from Texas, I have to practice not making all my characters sound like Texans. What do y’all think about dialects and slang?
Character Study by Left and Write – How much character development do you do before and during writing and editing?
6 Things You Didn’t Know About Becoming and Published Author: a guest post by RaeBeth McGee-Buda on Amanda Fanger – #2 – Editing is Tough – I knew it.
The First Draft Run Through Blues by Raewynn Hewitt – Makes me want to cry.
Editing is Writing Too by Raewynn Hewitt – The push I needed to get off my butt and put my butt in the chair and edit.New Followers Tim The Film Guy William Stadler Special thanks to my email followers as well.
Next Week’s ScheduleMonday – Re-Introduce Myself Blog Hop Wednesday – The Word Master Challenge Friday – Imaginary Friend Blog Hop Sunday – My Weekly Update
And, don’t forget to sign up for Blogging from A to Z Challenge on Wednesday, January 30, 2012. Click the badge below for rules and Tips on Blogging from A to Z.
And, congratulation to Aldrea Alien for knowing her Bilbo/Gollum Riddles. Here are the answers:
4. Sun in the sky shining upon daises on a hill.
7. A Fish.
8. A fish lay on a table. A man sat on a stool. And the cat got the bones.
12 thoughts on “My Weekly Update – Better Late Than Never”
Thanks so much for the mention Sydney – I’m glad the posts were encouraging (at least the editing one anyway). I wholeheartedly agree with never late than never. Sometimes it’s just settling in and finding the timing. I hope it goes well for you – all the best.
No Raewyn, Thank you.
Yeah, I’ve been working through some of those things. . . Blogging pretty well on schedule now. Last week I wrote about editing, by the way–you may want to take a look, because it’s certainly a process that drives me mad. My big revelation is that I need to write even when I’m revising, or the whole thing gets way too English-professorish.
Rebecca, thanks for the link. I will take a look. I need all the help I can get.
Always a balancing act with blogging.
Yes it is.
Thanks Sydney! And I didn’t know how many followers you had, but I still think you deserve the Liebster award! You always have such great posts!
Thanks so much Karen. I love any type of awards, so thank you.
Better late than never moments this year? If I don’t have at least one a day, someone had better call the coroner… It seems like you’re a few steps ahead of me; I’m still trying to figure out how to balance working/school/mothering/puppying/writing/showering/breathing… And schedule in all the late things so they don’t become never things
Great post. Looking forward to seeing more 🙂
Congrats on the awards, you deserve them 🙂 My latest “better late than never” moment? I realised after a month of querying and not writing that maybe I could use this querying time to write a first draft… 😉
The most annoying ones are when you think about what you could and maybe should have been doing instead of what you actually did. But, querying is a good exercise in that the more you do it the better you get at it. Try doing both.