I wish I still had mine. Especially my Millennium Falcon.
Month: May 2012
At the Top of the Stairs
“Let’s go up there,” he said.
“Up there.” He pointed to the stair well at the back of the room just past the kitchen. Looking at the stairs gave her a weird feeling. From this vantage point she could see the first four steps. But, after that it was grey and dark. Like the light wasn’t allowed to illuminate above the fourth step.
He took her hand and lead her towards the stairs.
“We shouldn’t go up there.” She whispered.
“Why not?” he didn’t wait for her to answer. “We have to.”
“But, what is up there?” She asked.
As they reached the bottom of the stairs, she looked up and couldn’t see the top. There was no light. Strange. No light and no sound.
He stepped on the first step and his hand went cold. He looked back at her. A scream got caught in her throat. His eyes were changing change colors, like a chameleon. First, brown, then green, black, blue then brown again.
“It is your choice.” He said.
She tried to back away, but couldn’t move.
All of sudden, there was a high-pitched ripping sound. Like the sound that masking tape makes when you remove it from a hard surface.
He took off running up the stairs; taking two at a time. He was still holding her hand, but her feet where no longer touching the ground. She was floating. And, she was in pain. It hurt so badly and she was screaming and pulling. He stopped.
He turned towards her again.
“If you choose to come, it won’t hurt as much.”
His kind blue eyes had returned. She recognized those eyes; the ones that made her stomach flip and made her fall for him. And, that made her cry.
But, she continued with him this time. And when she did, her feet hit the ground and it didn’t hurt as much. He was right. He was always right.
They arrived at the top of the stairs. At the top was a table with a computer on it. Beyond the table was a closed door. On the computer screen, there was a question:
“Do you dare?”
Type 1 for yes and 2 for no.
He let go of her hand and typed on the keyboard. She couldn’t see what he typed, but sudden the door opened and he walked in. She tried to follow him, but the door shut before she could go through.
“You have to choose.” He said from a distance, “I can’t do it for you.”
“Choose what? Dare to do what? I don’t understand.” She screamed.
Then she heard laughter. It was distant at first, but then got closer and closer and closer. It was horrible and the pain returned.
The screen kept blinking in lipstick red:
TYPE 1 FOR YES AND 2 FOR NO!!!
She felt like she was going crazy. With all her effort, she reached out and pressed 2.
Check out other stories at Writer Wednesday Blog Hop.
Me, Myself, and I…
Emily has the right idea. We are all unique and it is reflected in our writing style. I mean, who wants be like every body else anyway. How boring is that? Thanks Emily.
Kreativ Blogger Award
I received an award on Friday from Carissa Taylor. Thank you so much Carissa. I am honored and humbled by your support. Also, I am super jealous of Carissa because she currently lives in one of my dream cities; Sydney, Australia.7 Nominations:
- Emily Anne Shaffer
- Here She Goes Again – A.D. Duling
- Hola Yessica!
- Tameri Etherton
- Chicklets Lit – Trish Gentry
- Wright Forbucks
- 27 in Twenty Twelve – Anna F.
6. Which do you prefer, black or white? Black is beautiful
7.What is your biggest fear? Snakes and failing to live the life I am supposed to live
8. What is your attitude mostly? Most of the time I have a positive upbeat attitude.
9.What is perfection? Sleeping in until noon and still having 12 hours of sun light left. Also, a good book and a hot bath
10. What is your guilty pleasure? Reality TV; no matter if it is a competition or just a camera following drunk people around. I watch it all. 10 Random Facts
- I love Apple products and currently have my iPhone, iPad 3, Mac Air and Mac Book Pro sitting on my desk all on.
- I collect coffee mugs from every place I have visited and use them for my daily cup of coffee habit.
- I try and quit drinking coffee every month, it only last for a week.
- I know over 100 words in mandarin and my favorite word is dui. It means yes or correct.
- I saw Matt Damon in a play in London a few years ago and have been a huge fan every since. I sat in the front row and he spent most of the play in his boxer shorts. He really is that cute in person.
- I meet Michael Jordan once at a celebrity golf tournament. The person who introduced us told him I was in law school. He said, “Oh yeah, you go to George Washington University.” I said, “Yep.” – I actually went to Georgetown.
- If your name is short for something, I prefer to call you by your full name. Mike – Michael, Jackie – Jacqueline, Lynn – Lynnette, Alex – Alexander
- I love sparkling water and drink it at most every meal.
- There are shows on TV here in China that I would never have watched in America, but now I just love them. Sons of Guns and Deadliest Catch are two of my favorite.
- I pay a driver once a week to go to town and pick me up a pepperoni pizza from Papa Johns. After Chinese food all week, it is so good.
My Weekly Update – A Story, An Attack & Accolades
I hope everyone had a great week. I sure did.
I wrote a little 500 word story for the Writer Wednesday Blog Hop and received some great feedback. It just warmed my heart to have people I respect compliment my writing. Makes me believe I might be doing something right. Two comments I wanted to share with you all because they are still making me smile:
“A fictional character has just stolen my heart.” – by the greatness that is Tameri Etherton
“Good voice.” – by Randy Lindsay
Thanks to you both for making my week.
I have something a little scary planned for next week.
Ok. Not really an attack, but I did get into a two comment debate with the movie reviewer at Love Your Movies. He has a really great blog on movies and the movie industry. I really love the way he describes a movie from a personal perspective.
Apparently he did not agree with my opinions in my post on The Greatness of Peter Berg and Battleship The Movie. My word choice of “innovative” to describe Peter Berg as a director particular struck a cord with him. A few other points were exchanged as well. You can read for yourself, but I did stop the debate with the “Ok, I get it. I just don’t agree. You have your opinions. That is why you have your own blog,” statement. Whether he is still following me or not, I am not sure.
But, it did get me thinking. First, what about my blog site with its flowers, love of movie quotes and all around praise and support of my fellow writing and blogging community garnered in anyone the need to debate my opinions. Especially about a movie. I am not auditioning to take over for Richard Roeper.
Second, what is appropriate when commenting on someones blog. I’m not saying I don’t like a good debate. I am a former lawyer and love to argue and can articulate and debate the merits from both sides with the best of them. But, there is also a time and place.
Finally, is there a point when you go to far. I could have come back with a scene by scene comparison of the differences between Friday Night Lights and Varsity Blue (I might still do that in a future post. Good idea.), but what purpose would it have served. Or, is it my duty to defend my point to the end of time. That isn’t really the point of why I do this.
What I have concluded is that I will welcome any and all criticism, comments and suggestions. I would prefer the criticism be about something I am trying to actually get better at, namely my writing.
I will answer any and all comments and try to stay as positive and polite as I can. After all, the tag line of my site is Happiness, Passion, Love & Faith.
Love and light to you all, dammit!
Thank you to my new followers. I am so happy that you have joined the scene:
- Cinema Wolf – Great movie review by Colin Carman
- Little Grey Box – Musing from an Australian living in London
- Ink and Paper – writing advice from Kara Skinner
- Horror Writer DKW – Author site for Dalton L. Fluker
-I also had a few new follower by email and some that don’t have websites. Thanks to you all as well.
- A.M. Shultz (featuring The Adventures Pigs)
- Tameri Etherton
- Carissa Taylor
- Troy Aaron Ratliff
- Different Corners in My Life
The Weeks ScheduleMonday – Kreativ Blogger Award Duties and Tag Your It – this is a new one. Tuesday – Movie Quotes Wednesday – Writer Wednesday Blog Hop Friday – Random Blog Post Sunday – My Weekly Update