I was excited to get home from work today to write a post for the Insecure Writers Support Group and it happened. I got distracted.
I have been pretty focused lately. I survived the A to Z challenge with confidence and the accomplishment really motived me to get going this week on outlining my novel. It is May 2 and I got distracted.
I only have a few hours per day to write. If I enjoy sleeping, which I do, I can get in about 2-4 hour per day. Maybe another 1 or 2 at work if my boss is away from the office (don’t tell her).
I get home and I am all set to write a quick post and then tackle my outline. I turn on the t.v. for background noise. And, there is a Woody Allen Movie. Manhattan Murder Mystery. Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Alan Alda and Manhattan.
I love this movie. In fact, I love all Woody Allen movies. Especially the ones that take place in Manhattan. Something about the way he shoots Manhattan.
Then, it got me thinking. What excuses, if any, are good excuses to interrupt the pursuit of my dream.
Sure there are the easy ones; death and injury – to myself or a loved one. Work obligation – But, not really. I run a golf Academy. Not to many golf instruction emergencies that I can think of.
I have compiled a list of things that I will allow to distract me from my scheduled writing for the day?
- Woody Allen Movies – They inspire me, so that is a good thing.
- The opportunity to have a great steak with cream corn, broccoli au gratin, and a green salad with red onions and homemade ranch dressing – I am specific about my food.
- A phone call from my mother or my cousin – I miss them.
- A Stephen King Book – but, this inspires me,too. I have put off starting 11/22/63 until after June.
- A quick read of my favorite blogs – again, that inspiration thing.
And, with that, I think I better close down this list because it could go on forever. If I stick to this list, then I should have plenty of time left over to get my writing done.
So, my fellow writer out there, how do you handle distractions? What do you do to stay on schedule?
And, what would you put on your good excuse list?